Thursday 26 December 2019

Brittany Runs A Marathon (2019) - Movie Review



https://www.greaterthan.org/

Y’know, for someone who claims to have an entire life philosophy based on making people laugh, I am remarkably out of step with the modern comedy scene. I don’t watch a lot of TV, so I’m not seeing the sitcoms that get these actors their first major platform, and what passes for stand-up nowadays is a bit… well, try-hard. As I’ve said in the past, I’d be fine with the whole ‘safe space to decry safe spaces’ thing is people were at least a little self-aware about it, and it feels like too many are banking on outrage over actually being funny nowadays.

At any rate, between all of this, I find myself questioning why I keep seeing certain actors popping up in comedy films. Actors like Jillian Bell, a comedian I don’t have any experience with outside of the films I’ve reviewed, and someone who has never really made her case as a recurring comedic presence for me. Until now, that is.

Bell’s first leading role is somewhat familiar material: It’s a comedy with romantic undercurrents about a woman in New York City trying to sort her shit out. Looking at the premise on its own, this feels like the distaff Run Fatboy Run in its high-concept juxtaposition of someone who is overweight with an activity that even the fittest of people might struggle with. However, where that comparison falls apart is how, where Run Fatboy Run was all about the physical exertion being a chance to impress a romantic interest, this one is all about empowerment and respect of the self.

It’s basically the kind of film Amy Schumer wishes she could come up with and deliver as potently, as writer/director Paul Downs Colaizzo’s examination of body image and insecurity hits a lot of strong chords. It highlights physical exercise as a means of taking responsibility for one’s own body and health, a pretty refreshing approach as opposed to the ‘fat is icky’ route I keep seeing, and as we see Bell’s title character training for the titular marathon, it definitely rings true in what a regular exercise routine can do for the mind as much as the body.

Blogging isn’t the most strenuous of tasks for the body, even on a semi-regular basis or when you’re doing your own self-imposed marathon because your lazy arse didn’t watch enough movies earlier in the year (just in case my own insecurities haven’t been evident enough yet). However, earlier in the year, I had a bad morning of looking at my gut in the mirror and decided to do a 30-day workout routine to try and slim it down. It sucked, and I’ll admit that I didn’t exactly get the results I was aiming for, but I definitely noticed a change in my thought process. Namely, because it gave me a chance to let out a bunch of pent-up energy that not even the ventiest of writing sessions could get rid of.

I bring this up because this film’s approach to that same psychological effect definitely feels true to my own experiences. Brittany gains a new-found respect for herself as she starts shedding the pounds, and the fact that this is always maintained as a ‘I need to do this’ thing and not a ‘everyone else wants me to do it’ thing makes it more authentic emotionally. Hell, a lot of the film hits that note, whether it’s the romance subplots, Brittany’s incessant need to make people laugh in every social situation (there’s a reason why I’m drawing parallels between her and myself; I’m quite shocked how much I relate to this woman) or the realisation that there is such a thing as pushing yourself too hard in physical situations.

I don’t think I’ve ever liked Jillian Bell more than I have here, as her comedic lead here is one full to the brim with empathy, charm and the kind of heart-breaking dramatic touches that make even the more clichĂ©d moments feel real. Basically the opposite of every other role I’ve seen her in, showing that she could have a very fruitful career if she keeps tapping into this new vein of material she’s found here. Not necessarily the Schumer-esque body positivity stuff, but more stuff that lets her be likeable, human and able to carry an entire production on her performance alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment